Two-Way Radio FCC Licensing Explained

In this article, we discuss the purpose and methods of the FCC licensing of two-way radio broadcasts. By the end, you should have a much better understanding of what the FCC does and why it is important for your business to obtain your license through a trusted professional, like Altech. Read on to find out more.

You might want to get two-way radios in the modern world for many reasons. Whether it be working security at an event, hospitality, construction, and more industries can benefit from two-way radios. The FCC supplies information for many different purposes you might have. But did you know that your business needs a license before you even start broadcasting?

For a business to use commercial radios over two watts you must have an FCC license. A license is valid for ten years and during that time there are rules and regulations that need to be followed. Altech will ensure you’re aware of the guidelines and help with all follow-ups from FCC notifications. Choosing to obtain your license through Altech makes the process easier and faster for your business.

Why Regulate Radio?

The reason that the FCC regulates radio frequencies is to ensure that they are a useful resource for commercial or private users. If the system were not licensed, anyone could use it without limitation, and the frequencies would end up unusable.

Any radio that is under two watts in power does not need a license. This means that you can still use toy radios or private walkie-talkies so long as they are not too powerful.

If your company is caught operating a radio without a license in the US, you can be fined up to $25,000.

How Do I Get A License?

To receive a license, you must apply. However, the FCC has many different forms and requirements to obtain an FCC license, it can be confusing. It’s best to work with a professional like Altech since FCC licensing is very complicated.

When you apply for an FCC license, you must also agree to the rules the FCC has on the use of two-way radios.

How Altech Can Help with the FCC Licensing Process

Avoid long delays, having your application returned, and dealing with the reapplication process by working with the professionals at Altech. We specialize in FCC licensure and can show you how to get a license in NYC and understand the rules in doing so. We’re here to help you with all your licensing needs from navigating the licensing database to licensing renewals!

Key Takeaways:

  • Radio frequencies would be unusable if we didn’t regulate radio.
  • A license is required to operate a two-way radio over two watts.
  • FCC licensing is very complicated so it’s best to work with a professional.

Where To Get a Two-Way Radio

You should now have a much better understanding of how two-way radio licensing is handled. Ready to purchase a two-way radio? Reach out to Altech Electronics today! We have a large collection of two-way radios for you to choose from.